Recent Fire Damage Posts

Leading Cause of House Fires? Electric Heaters!

2/27/2018 (Permalink)

Electrical heating-related fires most often occur in December, January, and February. Purchasing a cozy electrical space heater is a cost-efficient solution when temperatures drop, however, can be a devastating disaster when used improperly. According to the NFPA (National Fire and Protection Agency), electrical space heaters are the leading cause of most house fires. Here are a few tips on how to properly use your electric space heater and avoid fire hazards:

  • Electrical Fires: Electrical fires occur when the heating unit is not properly plugged into the wall outlet, most often plugged into an extension cord or power strip. To avoid fires:
    • Give your space heater space; at least 3 feet away from combustible materials
    • Do not plug other electrical devices into the same outlet as the heater.
    • Plug the heater directly into the outlet
    • Avoid leaving the unit running overnight
  • Fire Starters: Electrical units placed too close to other combustible materials contribute to 79% of fatal home heating fires. Combustible materials include:
    • Household furniture
    • Clothes
    • Bed Mattress
    • Bedding materials

Before running your electrical heater, it’s important to understand the risks of fire and smoke damage. Fire damage can leave a lasting impact on your house and may cause additional smoke damage.

If you have mold or water damage, call SERVPRO at 610-546-2484 to schedule an assessment and cleanup. Your SERVPRO professionals of Abington / Jenkintown have the training, certifications, and equipment to remediate mold.

Call today for a free estimate! Mention this post and get 10% off all your cleaning needs.

Don't Let Winter Fires Ruin Your Dinner!

1/5/2018 (Permalink)

There were three house fires in Montgomery County overnight Wednesday into Thursday and since Dec. 1, 2017, there have been 21 house fires, including two that were multi-alarm. That is an unusually high number that may be attributable to the exceedingly cold temperatures the region has been experiencing recently.

Cooking is the leading cause of home fires and can easily be prevented.

We urge all of our residents to follow these important steps to prevent winter home fires.

  • Never leave food cooking on the stovetop unattended.
  • Keep a close eye on what’s cooking, particularly if you are frying food. If you see any smoke or the grease starts to boil, turn the burner off.
  • Keep a pan lid or cookie sheet nearby and use it to cover the pan if it catches fire.
  • Turn pot handles toward the back of the stove so they aren’t bumped or pulled over accidentally. The steps people sometimes take in an effort to heat their homes, particularly during power outages, can also lead to house fires. The following steps can prevent house fires in those instances.
  • Keep anything that can burn at least three feet from heat sources, such as fireplaces, wood stoves, radiators, and space heaters.
  • Use flameless candles, flashlights and glow sticks in the event of a power outage.
  • Don’t use an oven, stovetop or bring an outdoor grill inside to inside to heat your home. Those pose a serious risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and/or fire.
  • Turn space heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed. Don’t use more than one space heater at a time and don’t run extension cords to them.
  • If you use a portable generator during a power outage, make sure it is outdoors in a well-ventilated area away from doors, windows and vents, make sure you have working carbon monoxide detectors in your home and never refuel your generator when it is running.

If you have mold or water damage, call SERVPRO at 610-546-2484 to schedule a cleanup.  Your SERVPRO of Abington / Jenkintown professionals have the training, certifications, and equipment to remediate mold.

Call today for a free estimate, and mention this post and get 10% off all your cleaning needs.

Protect Your House from Smoke as the Fall Season Begins!

9/7/2017 (Permalink)

Fall Safety Tips

Fall is here! With the change in seasons, people will be active both outside and indoors. According to the NFPA (National Fire Protection Agency), cooking inside is the #1 cause of house fires. Consider the following tips to ensure your family is safe!

  • Test Smoke Detector batteries every month
  • Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, including the basement, both inside and outside of sleeping areas.
  • Stay in the kitchen when you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the stove.
  • Position barbecue grills at least 10 feet away from siding and deck railings, and out from under eaves and overhanging branches.
  • Never use stove range or oven to heat your home.

Smoke Damage Cleanup

Smoke damage can leave a lasting impact on your house and make rooms unbearable to breathe in.

Before you begin cooking inside, it is important to understand the risks of smoke damage.

SERVPRO can help you eliminate smoke and fire damage professionally - call today for a free estimate. Mention this post and get 10% off!

Your local Montgomery County SERVPRO® Professional wishes you a safe and wonderful autumn season!

Contact SERVPRO of Abington/Jenkintown (215-576-8887) or King of Prussia (610-337-3330) to reach your Montgomery County Service Professionals for a free estimate.

Mention this ad when you call and get 10% off all your cleaning needs.

Summer Safety ( and End of Summer Cleanup!)

8/29/2017 (Permalink)

Safety First 

Summer is a time to enjoy the great outdoors, but it is also important to keep safety in mind.  Consider the following tips, provided by the National Fire Protection Association to keep you and your family safe as we wrap Summer and head into Fall (tailgates and bonfires are not far away!)

  • When using a charcoal grill, only use starter fluids designed for barbecue grills; do not add fluid after coals have been lit.
  • When using a gas grill, ensure the hose connection is tight; check hoses for leaks. Applying soapy water to the hoses will easily and safely reveal any leaks.
  • Always build a campfire downwind from the tent area. Clear vegetation and dig a pit before building your fire. Extinguish the fire before going to sleep or leaving the campsite.
  • Store liquid fire starter (not gasoline) away from your tent and campfire and only use dry kindling to freshen a campfire.

Summer Cleanup 

As we transition seasons, many of the ugly remnants of summer seem to stick around forever. This may be a great time to get rid of the muddy footprints, dirty stairs, and all the sticky spills of summer.  

Contact SERVPRO of Abington/Jenkintown (215-576-8887) or King of Prussia (610-337-3330) to reach your Montgomery County Service Professionals for a free estimate. 

Mention this ad when you call and get 10% off all your cleaning needs.